aleatory contract

my own personal Waterloo

Friday, March 23, 2007

the discussion below reminds me of the very first time i ever saw an abortion protest: i was about five, and my mother, grandmother and i were at a Dunkin' Donuts drivethrough window in a stripmall parkinglot. it was the Dunkin' Donuts on Ritchie Highway, in Pasadina, near the Marley Station mall. it's still there. the protesters had a full compliment of six-foot-wide, full-colour photos of mangled fetuses, and there was lots of yelling. i had no idea what they were doing, and no one else in the car did, either. no attempt was made to explain it to me, presumably because, well, what are you supposed to say to that? as far as i know, no abortion provider was ever located in that stripmall, and it was morning -- i think a saturday. presumably, then, they just wanted to gross people out over breakfast.

considering the location, full-colour blowups of athreosclerosis and open heart surgery would have been more appropriate, really.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I've never seen one, besides the Genocide Project idiots who used to come to UMD all the damn time. I don't think I ever encountered anyone, of any political persuasion, who didn't loathe them.

(I mean, really, I understand they're upset and all, but would "pluricide" have been such a huge concession?)

3/23/2007 12:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

(Really, the whole concept of protesting bothers me. I don't like monologues, and I don't like complex arguments being condensed to chants and sound bites, and I seriously don't like people getting harrassed. If we were a better species, I can't help but think we'd handle this sort of thing better. Or possibly robots. ("It's an S-23 parallel processor unit, not a choice!"))

3/23/2007 12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Mitch Hedberg line comes to mind: "I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it."

3/23/2007 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home